I have used several open-source programs on my PC. I am a user, not a programmer, so I have a different perspective. The "support" is through forums, and if you are not sufficiently skilled in "geek speak", there is danger that you will be flamed for asking a question, or you may receive an answer that is so thoroughly steeped in "geek speak" that it is useless for you. Been there done that. Besides you have to constantly monitor the forum to see if anyone has provided an answer to your question.

If a user has a problem with an Elecraft product and contacts Elecraft support, you can expect to discuss your situation with someone who is both responsive and knowledgeable and will work with you to resolve the issue or present it to engineering. I highly suspect that would not be the case if the firmware were open-source.

Open-source is 'nice' for programmers who want to implement their pet additions, but for the majority of users, open-source is not the way to go IMHO.

73,
Don W3FPR

And yet open-source software has been shown to be very successful.  Why do you
think many corporate/government organizations are turning to it?

With enough eye balls looking at the code all bugs are shallow. I think
Elecraft could benefit from an extra 100 pair of eyes looking at the
problems at no cost contributing an average of 100 hours a week at it.
Could you imagine what kind of quagmire that could result in? A better
product no less!