I can just imagine the resource drain it would inflict upon Elecraft to investigate all the possible unexpected and unwanted side effects that might be buried in open source modifications to their products that could easily affect the broader reputation of their products in the marketplace, especially given the memory space and performance constraints of an embedded processor. Not to mention, of course, the possibility of somebody burying a small chunk of malicious code.

I don't think your proposal represents low risk at all, particularly to Elecraft, but also to that portion of the user base who even stumble over officially released firmware upgrades and would now have to sort out multiple options competing for the same limited number of bytes of code, and in ways that may not be compatible. Elecraft's brand image hangs on EVERYTHING associated with their products ... not just the things they create themselves. If somebody contributes a modification that adds a feature but harms something else, the rig bears the brunt of the loss in reputation.

I think possibly you may be the one that doesn't understand what this actually entails.

Dave   AB7E

p.s.  I missed your callsign, Andrew.  Care to give it?