It may say that and it has evolved to that but that was not the original intention of the creator.
john

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken K3IU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "'n3drk'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'Dale Putnam'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'elecraft'" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2005 10:24 AM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] SKN

Actually, guys, it DOES say "old-fashioned bugs, a variation of the straight
key" on the rules page for SKN of the ARRL web site.

"In many circles SKN has been expanded to encompass vintage radio equipment as well. Reminiscing about their early days in our hobby, many operators use
SKN as the "excuse" to refurbish their old Viking, Heathkit, or Scout. You
will hear as many vintage radios on the air during SKN as you will variety
of keys. And you will hear signals generated using old-fashioned bugs, a
variation of the straight key. SKN is the time amateur radio recalls the
past, transporting it to the present."

Surely this horse is dead by now.

73 and Merry Christmas,
Ken K3IU