I never knew names attached to the various techniques, but your description
of the weight of the arm doing the work is what I learned too. That's why,
in very difficult situations such as a bounding vehicle, I didn't want the
spring so tight that I'd have to bear down hard. So when I had to I
compromised by slipping my thumb under the knob and "lifting" up with it to
make sure the contacts broke cleanly at the right time in spite of the
jostling or for brief bursts of extra-high-speed CW.

I wonder if those various techniques came from the military training in the
different countries? I already had a commercial radiotelegraph license so
the U.S. Army didn't send me to their school.

Ron AC7AC