Hi All,

I'm interested in possibly trying the K3EXREF in my good ol' K3 for no good reason other than its something new and fun to try and can give some bragging rights about frequency accuracy. Can any of you comment on your experiences in using the K3EXREF? Elecraft provides very little background info on how to get started with this accessory after its installation.

I see that the once prolific Trimble Thunderbolt units are now quite scarce on eBay and elsewhere those that are available are now really pricey. What are any of you now using if you went the GPS disciplined oscillator route? Have any of you used a rubidium standard as the alternative?

This may sound naive, but is a rubidium standard device safe to have at home, i.e. is it radioactive? I think I know the answer but I want to ask anyway. With a toddler grandson around here often I want to be very safe and very certain.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed, encountered pitfalls and sourcing a reasonably priced frequency standard would be greatly welcome.

I thank you all in advance.

73 de N1LQ-Dave