Dave

I installed one about the time they were released, it was a pain free
exercise, plug an external 10Mhz in and it worked, unplug it and it falls
back to the internal reference. The whole exercise has proved invaluable for
external microwave transverters as well as the internal 2M module which is
now locked.

I built a 10Mhz reference based on the VE2ZAZ design (
http://ve2zaz.net/GPS_Std/GPS_Std.htm ) and used it to reference my test
equipment, frequency counter, signal generator as well as the K3, my shack
is basically GPS reference locked.. It is a GPS locked reference, a little
slow to lock, about 5 mins but rock solid when locked (I never turn it off).
Bert VE2ZAZ also had a design for a station clock based on the GPS receiver,
now this is one of the best things I have ever built.

I also have Rubidium standard but rarely use it for anything, it draws a lot
of current, particularly at start up. The only warning I have ever seen
about radiation was from spectratime (
http://www.spectratime.com/uploads/hazmat331.pdf ) and I doubt it is an
issue for anyone. The lamps lose efficiency as they age as well and some of
the older ones on EBay are getting to the age where they are marginal.

If you decide to build one I am sure there are lot of folks who have done
just that and can assist you, I would be happy to share my construction
experiences off list with you.

Regards.
Roger VK3ADE.