Thanks everyone for the advice. sounds like I was well on the right track. I just wasn't sure if I should go with FSK seems I don't need to. I have seen references to using multiple decode screens and was on the research list glad you mentioned it Jim. I have a good dedicated sound card for AFSK and have been using it for a long time for other digital modes and analog sstv etc. so no worries there. and yep I did have it AFSK-A not DATA-A as I wrote in the OP sorry about that confusion.

As far as padding the messages with a line feed and space at the end yep found many ops that didn't do that and was hard to know which was the first or last letter of a call vs decoded noise sometimes like this
"LKASDFVE3SD 599 04 ON  VE3SDYUBDS ASJD AGWSW"
very Confusing. I quickly confirmed I had a leading and trailing space on all macros when I realised what was happening so I wasn't doing the same thing to others. I didn't add the line feed Ill revisit that before next contest.

All good advice
Thanks

David Moes
President: Peterborough Amateur Radio Club.
dm...@nexicom.net
VE3DVY,  VE3SD