Larry, I assembled a KX3 and it’s companion KXPA100 amp 3 weeks ago, and it is
an outstanding combo. I’m replacing a Kenwood TS-480HX (an outstanding device
also) which I ran with an Ameritron ALS-600S 600-watt linear. With some
balancing and shielding I will be able to run the KX3 + KXPA100 into the 600
watt linear. So, I have my super compact QRP radio that I can put in my back
pack and sit on a lawn chair with a Buddy Pole on top of a mountain, or the
high power base station on my desk at home with the mini-beam. Cake and eat it
too. The KXP3 pan adapter for the KX3 arrives today — my weekend project.
I’ll suggest the roofing filter especially for CW. Did not get an antenna tuner
for either the KX3 or KXPA100, but might reconsider that later, since I have an
auto-tuner for the big linear. Had no interest in using the KX3 on 2M and
actually for the cost, you could probably find a very nice 2M rig.
Assembly suggestion: they provide you with a lot of little teeny tiny screws.
Get a cupcake pan or ice cube tray and separate all the parts and label them.
Very difficult to tell a 5/32 screw from a 1/4. Tweezers help. And the customer
support is extraordinary.

David Ahrendts, KC0XT, Los Angeles

David Ahrendts   davidahren...@me.com