Over the past few days I started to hear a random popcorn popping type noise on 160, MW and lower. I had never heard a noise like this one. I couldn't think of anything new around the house- and having no close in neighbors I was stumped. Interestingly, the only NB that 100% eliminated it was my bedside TenTec RX-325. But I digress. I took my KX-3 with a 24" whip on the BNC connector. AM mode on 160M and headphones. After eliminating any sources on the upper foors, I narrowed the search to my shop/lab. . More checking and I found a brand new LiPO charger that came with my new LED flashlight. I had forgotten I had even plugged it in. When the whip got close, the sound was deafening. The moral is- don't forget what's new in the house and the KX-3 makes a wonderful noise source detection tool.

Dale W4OP