Phil,

The sidetone is a constant audio pitch sent through the audio amplifier (once you select the pitch you desire). It is not a function of the VFO, it is just a constant tone. The demodulated audio (from the signal you are listening to) does vary with the VFO setting. So yes, the selected sidetone pitch tells the DSP not only what spot pitch to send, it also is used to figure out how much frequency offset to use on the signal received as a result of the VFO setting.

I can't give you the DSP math to produce that, but Lyle certainly could. I suspect the demodulated signal tones and the sidetone are simply added - that is at least the result in the analog world. I do know the BFO/signal relationship is a "mixer" process and if I recall that in DSP math is some sort of multiplication process - as you can tell, I am not well steeped in DSP techniques, but I do recall a bit of signal processing math from my college days even though that was 54 years ago and I did not use that theoretical level of it, so much has become 'fuzzy' with time.

Perhaps some study of DSP algorithms would help you out.

73,
Don W3FPR