Hi Phil,

The following article is a good introduction to demodulating SSB in DSP:
https://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/98qex003.pdf

It has a bit of maths without going too overboard, and gives you the flavour of
how it works. But simplifying as much as possible:
- based on the sidetone setting eg. at 700Hz, the DSP will produce a sine wave
audio output at 700Hz and add it to the output audio of the radio demodulator.
- the frequency of local oscillator in the KX3 is set to the frequency of the
signal of interest plus 700Hz, and put through a quadrature mixer. This brings
the signal down to a baseband at 700Hz.
- the I and Q output of the mixer is sampled by an A-D converter, and the maths
mentioned in the article linked above is used to remove the opposite sideband
image, and you are left wi the desired signal at 700Hz. When mixed with the
700Hz sidetone, you hear a single tone.
- if you tune the VFO a bit, it moves the local oscillator, and the demodulate
signal is no longer exactly at 700Hz. You will hear the resulting signal "beat"
against the 700Hz generated sidetone.
- when you transmit, it will be based on the sidetone frequency, eg. 700Hz. If
you have zero-beating in the receiver, then you know the output of the
transmitter will exactly match the received signal frequency.

If we select CW-R, then we put the LO 700Hz below the signal of interest. If we
select other features like IF SHFT=8kHz, dual watch, etc. then the maths gets a
bit more complicated, but essentially amounts to implementing a second mixer
stage in DSP software.

73,
Matt VK2RQ