My story...

Learned CW when I was 9 years old, taught by ham uncle (also a ship radio
operator).  I used to listen to ham radio operators CW and got my speed up a
little bit before I ever got my Novice license so passing that code test was
easy-as-pie.

As a novice, started with J-38 (I didn't even know that other kinds of keys
existed).  But, I soon bought a Vibroplex Original, brand new for the cost of
about $36 (~1966) as my speed went beyond my capable skills with the J-38.  At
the finish of my Novice year, I was easily handling both RX/TX at 20+ wpm.

Big huge gap of 38 years between my Novice CW activity and getting licensed
again in 2004.  I was all SSB until 2007 when the "bug" for CW hit me again.
How much time to relearn CW?

It took two weeks of listening to CW traffic to get my head in gear again after
40 years of not hearing any CW at all.  I was up to about 15 wpm after two
weeks of one or two hours a day of listening (never used a code practice
program).  I decided to try my first QSO.  I called CQ and got a reply.  In the
middle of the QSO I got so flustered (using a J-38 again) that I had to abort.
I sent my apologies to my contact via e-mail.  I just did not practice enough
with the J-38.

So, practice-practice-practice on the J-38 for another week and I was ready.
After a few weeks of nothing but CW contacts on the J-38 I realized that my
operating time was limited to my hands sending at about 12 to 13 wpm on the
J-38.  I just wasn't capable of anything faster.

I bought myself a used bencher paddle and started practicing.  I liked it right
off that bat and my skills got better and now I am back up to about 20 to 22
wpm.  I have tried sending at 25 wpm with the paddle but I make more mistakes
then I am happy with so I need to spend time on that or learn better
techniques.  Being self-taught on the paddle there are some skills I am sure
have not been honed yet.  Oh, I never did learn to do squeeze technique on the
paddle and I still don't know what Iambic A or B mean (yes, I have looked that
up but I keep forgetting).

My main fault that limits my speed skills with the paddle is my limited
operating time.  I am 90 percent CW but I don't get that much operating time on
a daily basis.  I had planned to do a lot of activity in this weekend's CQ DX
CW contest but missed out due to all kinds of other interruptions.

However, thinking back of experiences:  in today's world, I would recommend
skipping any straight key and learn with a keyer and paddle right from the
start.  I think straight keys are antiques like tube-based rigs (no flame wars
from hollow state players).

73, phil, K7PEH