> On Dec 1, 2014, at 12:36 PM, Terry <tmyers1...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> The moral of the story is you tend to like what you first learn.

That has not been my experience, it probably depends more on what you have to
start with.

I started out with a Japanese J-38 clone and then later was given a WWII
surplus Vibroplex (I still have both of them on the operating desk.)   I’m not
sure how good I ever was with the bug but I would not subject the airwaves
today to my current horrible fist with it!

In my case, my first “electronic” keyer was a homebrew keyer out of the 1960’s
Handbook, a pair of 12AU7 tubes IIRC and a paddle made out of a pair of back to
back J-38 clones.   Well I survived that for a long time and must have been
fairly proficient since I operated high level NTS without being banned ;-)

Eventually I bought  an MFJ keyer and a real paddle (Bencher) and then the K3
with the Bencher.  Either one is fine by me but the K3 is of course more
convenient.  Bottom line, I would never go back to that early Handbook keyer
and the back to back J-38s!  never!

Speaking of bad fists brings back the memories of a certain W8D**.  When you
heard him on a traffic net, you either laughed or cried.  Laughed if someone
else had to copy his traffic, cried if you had to copy it!   Cliff just sent
dots and more dots, you had to figure out which ones should have been dashes
because of the extra spacing!

> from:  phil, K7PEH

> However, thinking back of experiences:  in today's world, I would recommend
> skipping any straight key and learn with a keyer and paddle right from the
> start.  I think straight keys are antiques like tube-based rigs (no flame
> wars from hollow state players).

Would  you really suggest someone starting out at 5 wpm use a paddle and keyer?

73,
WA8JXM