Sent: Monday, December 1, 2014 8:14 PM
To: elecraft
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Getting Started With CW

Well we all have our CW learning stories. So here is mine and can be taken as
a tip-suggestion-opinion.

At 13 in 1956 I signed up for a Novice class at the local radio club, Nutley
Amateur Radio Society (Nutley, NJ). When it came time to learn the basics of
sending the instructor, W2TJD (SK) made us try to send with the "wrong" hand
since we were learning anyway. I'm a lefty so tried right handed. At that point it was equally poor with either hand. But I learned it and over time it was a great advantage as the better hand was free. I could send with one hand and log or do other things with the other. Back in the old days when logs were in the carbon stick and dead tree format it was always interesting to watch at FD etc OPS that only used one hand as they chased the pencil that rolled away when they put it down. Sending CW is not a high dexterity thing like writing or other fine
work.

Whether you start with a straight key or paddle this is appropriate. Sending CW is a finesse rather than a force mode of doing it. If your chasing the key or
paddle around that is excessive force and adding more weight is not the
solution. Same goes for it being tiresome or generating pain and discomfort. To much tension and force being used. Think about it, you need movement of only thousands of an inch not the key to move across the desk. Learn to relax and the movement is only slight with the fingers or wrist or combination of the two.

Confession time... I hated CW. When my novice expired I got a 5 WPM tech and held it until the mid 60's. I lived in an apartment with an indoor antenna and
wanted to get on 10 to participate in the clubs 10 meter net.  I struggled
through and got to 13 WPM to get a General ticket. I made the net and called CQ on phone until I was blue in the face and never made a contact. 1st CQ on CW was replied to instantly by an SP station. That set the hook and I'd guess I'm
75% CW since.

73,
Bob
K2TK   ex KN2TKR & K2TKR