Ken, great. When you are copying, are you using the K3 decoder or copying in your head at 30 wpm.

Uncle Phil, W0xi...

Ken <mailto:wa8...@gmail.com>
Monday, December 01, 2014 6:37 PM
Yes, I’ve looked up and understand the theory of Iambic keying but 1) it’s been weird to try and 2) I haven’t noticed any advantage for me. Now maybe there is an advantage at higher speeds? But when I’ve run above 30 wpm, I use a keyboard ;-)

73,
Ken WA8JXM

Message delivered to aldenmcduf...@sunflower.com
Ken <mailto:wa8...@gmail.com>
Monday, December 01, 2014 3:00 PM

Am I missing something? Have I been doing it wrong for years? Yes I have an Iambic paddle and of course the K3 offers Iambic choice BUT I NEVER USE IT. I don’t touch both paddles at the same time, my wrist rocks back and forth and I never squeeze the paddle.

Seriously I am asking if I’m doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Ken WA8JXM

Message delivered to aldenmcduf...@sunflower.com
Joe Subich, W4TV <mailto:li...@subich.com>
Monday, December 01, 2014 8:06 AM

*IF* one must start out with paddles/keyer, learn on Iambic A.  Iambic
B was a logic error in the AccuKeyer and simply covers up sloppy (slow)
paddle operation.

There are really three Iambic modes - based on where the trailing
element decision is made:

Iambic A which makes the decision at the end of the current element.
If the other paddle is closed at the end of a dit, the keyer adds a
dah.  If the other paddle is closed at the end of a dah, the keyer
adds a dit.

Iambic B makes the decision at the *beginning* of the current element.
If both paddles are closed at the beginning of a dit, the keyer sends
dit-dah.  If both paddles are closed at the beginning of a dah, the
keyer sends dah-dit.

CMOS Super Keyer (Logikeyer) makes the decision *one dit time into*
the current character.  If the current element is a dit and both
paddles are closed at the end of the dit, the keyer adds a dah.  If
the current element is a dah and both paddles are closed 1/3 of the
way through the dah, the keyer adds a dit.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Message delivered to aldenmcduf...@sunflower.com

Don Wilhelm <mailto:w3...@embarqmail.com>
Monday, December 01, 2014 7:46 AM
There are alternatives to Iambic keying.
One way is to use a single lever paddle which makes it impossible to send those alternating dit/dah sequences that I cannot work with correctly due to some 'finger habits' that I learned when using a bug.

Another way is to get a K1EL keyer (or Winkeyer) and try out the various modes he has built in. They do have a bug mode, but I have trouble with that one because there is no control between the string of dits and the timing of the manual dashes, when used with dual lever paddles. It would probably be OK with a single lever paddle, but I have not tried it that way.

With dual lever paddles, I prefer Ultimatic mode. That mode sends a string of the last paddle closed, which means you can use dit or dah insertion as well.

If you are just starting out, you may want to learn to send with dual lever paddles in Iambic (A or B your choice) and learn the squeeze sequences as well. That should help you when you get up to speeds above 30 wpm.

73,
Don W3FPR

Message delivered to aldenmcduf...@sunflower.com

Edward R Cole <mailto:kl...@acsalaska.net>
Monday, December 01, 2014 2:17 AM
I still have my original straight key that I bought in 1958 when I was practising for my Novice. I didn't have the luxury of a code machine to send my practise sessions (cassettes had not been invented) so either I listened on my little 3-tube receiver or I spent hours sending to myself. I think that resulted in a pretty good "fist". In the day I could send 18-20wpm easily with the straight key. I guess I favor learning with a straight key. Learning what proper sounding CW sounds like one should use tapes or practise programs. Do an hour a day for a month and you will absorb it.

Many years later I bought a Bencher-2 but never got very good results as the K3 keyer only does Iambic. I guess I am too set in my ways wanting to control the dots and dashes to get hang of Iambic. I should say I was off CW for decades so having to get back into it. My straight keying is a little rusty and not as smooth as I used to do, but In time it'll come back. I wonder if there are any keyers that just work like a bug but using a paddle?

I tried CW skimmer and the K3 CW text decoder but I'm not too impressed as it takes strong, very clean signal to work well. Brain works better.

For CW-eme I set up some message scripts where I fill in the other stations call sign and let the computer send. Eme keeps one quite busy keeping the antenna pointed, tuning Doppler shift, and listening to extremely weak signals. Having the transmitting time to fulfill these other tasks without being tied to the key helps a lot.

Of course I may still need to send a non-standard reply so the old straight key is right handy. Setting the spring tension and gap for fast CW is required using a straight key-most beginners have too wide a gap setting. Motion of the hand is in the wrist moving up/down with fingers lightly touching the key. Beginners usually try taping the key. I can see repetitive motion stress being a problem especially for us older hams. Why I like computer keying for repetitive calling.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: