Ed et al.,

My opinions usually rub someone wrong, so take them as they are - one man’s
opinions about what he has observed in his short time as an amateur operator.

K1EL makes a kit that will let you set it up in “bug” mode. I assume his
Winkeyer does the same.

I have been reluctant to jump in this conversation as I am a QRS op still. I
got interested in CW about two years ago. I had learned it to upgrade to Tech
Plus and then General 20 or so years ago and then promptly put the key away and
I am still kicking myself. I can copy a lot of what is sent at 18 - 20 WPM, but
I am comfortable at about 15 - 17 WPM. Not really fast enough for a long QSO.
Once I get the call, I can copy standard exchanges pretty fast (i.e. 5NN, TU,
73).

I do *not* like “cut” numbers like “T” for “0.” That messes with my head and I
try to figure out what the crap “1TT" means and have missed part of the
exchange. I understand *why* it’s done. That doesn’t mean I like it or that I’m
going to change it.

When I first got interested a couple of years ago, I think it was this group
(Elecraft) that put me on CW Ops. I took a course during the summer of 2012. If
I practiced an hour a day, every day, I’d have my speed up where I’d like to
be, but I haven’t practiced. I do well enough to copy calls and 5NN from DX
ops, but for longer contacts, my mind wanders and I stop decoding. I have tried
typing stuff out and that helps some. CW Ops will want you to head copy and
learn words. I like this approach, but I’m not there yet. I have a hard time
remembering what is spoken to me in regular conversation. :)

There are CW-oriented groups around too - SKCC (Straight Key Century Club
skccgroup.com <http://skccgroup.com/>) is one. Another is FISTS (fistsna.org
<http://fistsna.org/> although I’m not a member) and there’s also NAQCC (North
American QRP CW Club naqcc.info).

There are a lot of QRS ops in SKCC. You don’t have to be a member to work one
of the members, you just won’t have a “number” to exchange. SKCC, as the name
implies, is a straight key club. They also allow the use of bugs and cootie
(sideswiper) keys. Their focus is on manual sending of CW, but it would be rare
that the regular ops in that club would shun you. I like sending with a bug -
kind of a nostalgia thing to me. I’m not particularly great at it, but I’ve
heard much worse.

NAQCC is another specialized club in that they want you to be QRP. Unless
you’re an experienced op, or unless you are patient, this club might not be for
you. It is kind of a purist club with CW only (paddles are allowed), but they
award more points for their sprints based on different criteria. They prefer
that you use a wire antenna. However, they have a list of QRS nets on their
website: http://naqcc.info/cw_nets.html <http://naqcc.info/cw_nets.html>. Just
tune around and listen. Their nets are *not* necessarily QRP. They want folks
to check in and practice. My opinion is that “on-the-air” practice is good. You
get to experience all of the conditions in real time.

I prefer a single-lever paddle to Iambic. When I *first* learned CW 20 years
ago, everyone I knew used a set of Bencher paddles. I didn’t know any different
and the Internet was still a dial-up connection to AOL for me. I didn’t know
enough even to ask questions. When I got back into CW a couple of years ago, I
started reading a lot. I read some history of CW and the progression from
straight key to bug (or cootie) up to Iambic paddles. Along the way, the
single-lever paddle came up. I bought one and loved it. I *never* got the hang
of Iambic operation and *much* prefer a single-lever paddle - to each his own.
Because of the way the single-lever mechanism works, it’s been my experience
that you’ll pay a little more for that configuration.

I just thought of something else… CWOps will stress *accurate* keying not
*fast* keying. If you’re a fast op who makes lots of mistakes and repeats, you
could wind up being as slow as the QRS op who is accurate.

There’s also a book out there - I think it’s called The Art and Skill of
Radio-Telegraphy. I originally laughed when I heard about a book on learning
CW. Well, it’s a good read and is available for free as a PDF from many many
places. Here is a link: http://www.tasrt.ca/TASRTVersions/TASRT.pdf
<http://www.tasrt.ca/TASRTVersions/TASRT.pdf>.

73,
Joel - W4JBB