I am a new ham, licensed this year (general). Wayne obviously has the
design perspective re: KX3 but I wanted to talk about my experience. I'm in
IT, and an engineer, so I research anything I am looking at purchasing
quite heavily prior to purchase. I won't talk about why my research lead me
to purchase a KX3 (and then a KXPA100, and PX3) - but I will talk about
what I've found from using it, and using other people's radios.

1) Intuitive controls, menus, and logic.

I can't state this one strongly enough. After having used friend's Yaesu,
Icom, and even Kenwood radios, the Elecraft just makes sense. It took me
minutes to get up and running with the KX3 and talking with folks SSB, as
well as using digital modes. There were a few things I had to look up in
the manual (when I encountered a station running split, for example) but
90% of what I've encountered I've been able to figure out without needing
to reference the manual. I can't say the same for the other brand radios
I've used. There's nothing wrong with those other radios, but the Elecraft
just makes sense. I've had friends ask to use my KX3 as they were
interested in it, and the same held true. They were able to perform most
operations with little guidance, because it just makes sense.

2) Receive ability

I've A/B compared my KX3 with a lot of other radios on the same antennas,
and I've yet to find one that outperforms the KX3 - and I've run it against
plenty of non-portable setups. I'm sure some exist, but I haven't
encountered them, and I know of nothing portable that will touch the KX3 in
receive capability. I live in a location with an HOA so my antenna
situation is heavily compromised. Having the ability to pull signals out
from noise is the difference between being on the air and not being on the
air. I live next door to an air force base. I still routinely talk to
people all over the US, Canada, South America, and beyond with a wire
antenna that's 5' off the ground (fence-line loop fed with 450ohm window
line). Sure, plenty of QRM to go around, especially when the AFB kicks off
whatever radar/etc that pollutes 20m/40m/80m/etc - but I can still receive.
I've had 857s over here who were unable to copy conversations, then swapped
to the KX3 and while not ideal, I could get a a 100% copy.

3) Portability

I camp a LOT. I can't speak highly enough about the portability of the KX3.
I have 4 4200mAh LiFE batteries that I rotate through, but I've rarely had
to use more than two on week long trips. I use an EFHW antenna I made
tossed into trees or hung from a crappie fishing pole. Even at maximum
power output on SSB, I get a huge amount of runtime out of the KX3. Only
once have I had to move to the second battery on a week long camping trip,
and I was very active on digital modes for that trip. I haven't done a
recent measurement, but I was ~ 100-150mA draw before I got my PX3 in
receive. That's 28 hours on one of those batteries (they actually are
4200-4500 mAh of capacity when tested, so could probably do an hour or two
more).

4) Quality

These radios are solid. I've added a Side KX to my KX3/PX3 just because
they get chucked into camping backpacks quite often, but these radios are
made to last. Everything fits well, everything has a very solid feel. Parts
like the LCD cover (I think it's termed a screen bezel by Elecraft) are
replaceable; these units were engineered to survive use and even if you
manage to goof up, you can get another one and you're set. Little touches
like this don't seem important until you need them.

5) Customer support

I can not speak highly enough about this. I've called Elecraft for a few
things since I've purchased their radio, and they have been amazingly
helpful. My most recent call was asking about using the PX3 signal
generator as a source for doing the temperature compensation procedure with
the KX3 (don't do it!) I've always received extremely helpful advice, and
had quite wonderful conversations. I've learned a lot just from those
interactions, as the people at Elecraft truly do care about the hobby, and
want to help out when they can. I spoke with Elecraft before I was an
owner, and the information I received was not only very helpful and
thorough, but it went far beyond just their product line. It's obvious this
is a company that cares about amateur radio, and wants potential hobbyists
to join in. I probably wouldn't be on the air at this point if it hadn't
been for the helpful people at Elecraft talking to me about the ins/outs,
and sharing their experiences.

I hope that helps in your decision making. There are far more bullet points
that I could add, but I don't want to overwhelm someone seeking to join the
club. In my honest opinion, you'd be hard pressed to find a better route to
go as a new ham. I'm a buy once, cry once kind of person - and the KX3 is a
great way to go. If I'd purchased something else, I'd have upgraded by now
based on my experience with other radios I've been around. I have 0 desire
to move away from my KX3, and I've already had a few friends convert to one.

David/K5DJO