I think it's almost better to get a much cheaper older rig first.  In my latest
run as a ham I started with an old Kenwood TS140 for about $350.   It worked
fine for what it could do.  It couldn't break apart pileups but it allowed me
to make many QSOs.  However, when I got my K3--wow!  I don't think I could
really appreciate the K3 unless I had first used a basic rig first.  I still
get a thrill when I narrow the bandpass down to 50hz.

I still have the TS140 which is perfect for using in high risk environments
and/or lending to the next new ham.

Eric
WB7SDE