There seems to be unanimous agreement here, but I beg to differ.  In my
opinion, the KX3 is not ideal for a typical beginning general class
operator.   I own a KX3 myself, and I think it's wonderful, and I doubt that
I will ever part with it.  It shines when it comes to portable operation ..
That's why I bought it, that's what I use it for, and it's by far the best
portable rig I've ever owned.  I also have two K3s in my shack, and I use
them when I'm operating there, which is the vast majority of the time.   But
let's face it, most beginning hams are forced to deal with budget limits,
and a new KX3 is expensive.  The last time I checked, the cost of a loaded
KX3 with an outboard KXPA100 setup for HF only is well over $2300 plus tax
and shipping, and that's without a power supply.

We know that the antenna system is the most important part of any station,
and that an average transceiver with a great antenna will always outperform
a state of the art transceiver with a bare bones wire antenna.  Some will
disagree, but I believe that a beginner will obtain more enjoyment and
success with a 100 watt transmitter versus a 10 watt transmitter .. He'll be
able to work most of the stations he can hear, which will not happen when
he's QRP.  QRP operation can be very, very frustrating (you know the saying
.. "life is too short ...")

There are many transceivers readily available on the used market . some for
as little as $200 to $300. and, of course, they go on up from there.
Forget about all of those high tech bench testing numbers.. a beginner
simply needs a transceiver that works!  I happen to have a $200 TS-520S
(with internal power supply) in my shack that I fire up every once in
awhile.  I really doubt that most listeners can distinguish its 130 watt
signal from that of my 100 watt KX3/KPA100.  I would suggest that a beginner
buy something like that and use the rest of his budget to build a good
station and antenna system.  He will likely opt to buy a new KX3, K3 or
another excellent top of the line transceiver somewhere down the line, but
by that time he'll have a much better idea about what he really wants, and
the direction he wants to go in this wonderful hobby of ours.

Don, N5LZ