From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Phil
Wheeler
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:41 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Bug mode on K3?

Ian,

The K14 and its kin are devices specializing in being keyers; and that's all
they were intended to do. Expecting the K3 to have the keying capabilities
of one of the specialized K1EL products seems a bit much.

A better 'industry-wide benchmark' might be to compare the K3 with other
high-end ham transceivers with regard to the keying modes they provide.

Phil W7OX

On 12/10/14 12:44 AM, Ian White wrote:
> Ed - KL7UW wrote:
>> The K14 offers six keying modes:
>> 1- Iambic-A
>> 2- Iambic-B
>> 3- Ultimatic
>> 4- straight key
>> 5- Dit priority
>> 6- Dash priority
>>
> And others have also identified:
> 7- Mechanical bug
> 8-  CMOS Superkeyer (Logikeyer)
>
> That list would be a reasonable 'industry-wide benchmark' for the
> keying/timing modes that a premium CW transceiver like the K3 should
> offer as built-in options.
>
> Each one of those keying modes has a significant real-world following.
> Translation: there are significant numbers of K3 users who NEED that
> specific timing mode in order to operate close to their personal top
> speed.
>
> What K3 users *don't* need is to be told to use an external keyer, an
> adapter or some other workaround. We already know the workarounds
> because - even after 7 years - the K3 still needs them.
>

> 73 from Ian GM3SEK

delivered to hwhi...@maine.rr.com

---
is active.