the heat involved.  I suggested using an upright type freezer and put amp in
the freezer,  It worked great!!
George, fritkin

     On Sunday, December 14, 2014 3:55 PM, Mel Farrer via Elecraft
<elecraft@mailman.qth.net> wrote:

 Good point David,
I have seen an industrial RF amplifier heat sink made out of a 1/4 " copper
plate married to a aluminum water cooled plate.  Ran on a simple 120 VAC pump
to a 5 gal tank, like my 5KW Bird water cooled dummy load that uses a total
water waste system does the same dissipation.  As I remember, many years ago,
it was rated at removing 5KW of heat.  I know should have the BTU but I don't
remember.
Mel, K6KBE

      From: David Cutter <d.cut...@ntlworld.com>
 To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2014 3:32 PM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] LDMOS for QRO [OT]

I'm a little surprised that folks in this group haven't suggested liquid
cooling for this modest application.  Semiconductor cold plates have been
around for a long time, are economical to use and in my view a much better
solution than forced air cooling.  They are compact, quiet, require far less
cabinet space, keep junctions cooler and more stable than air could ever and
enable higher reliability.

Look at Aavid for instance, whose devices I used on many occasions:
http://www.aavid.com/sites/default/files/products/liquid/pdf/liquid-cold-plate-datasheet-hicontact.pdf

If you play your cards right, you can cool the amplifier and the power
supply on a short 4-pass plate.  Put the heat somewhere convenient, not in
your shack.

73

David
G3UNA