Hi Vic,

That is not surprising to me for reasons later discussed here...  When
something is rated at "1500 Watts, CW", that really means, 300 watts to
500 watts DC, or 100% duty cycle...  I wish manufactures would rate
things at 100% duty cycle.  I am pretty sure Elecraft does.

CW is taken to be about a 20% duty cycle, (for the most part), and as
such you can hammer something much harder when running CW than say when
you are running RTTY at 100% duty cycle...  That is how the 300 watt
figure came about, r=.20*1500, where r is the rating for power.

I tend to de-rate everything 60% to 85% when I run RTTY, PSK, or any
mode that is even close to 100% duty cycle, more on the 75% side of
things.

I would bet that 1000 watts RTTY for 10 minutes would blow another
trap...  I really dislike trap antennas for this reason, and these
reasons-- a bug gets into a trap, and you have a fire, water gets into a
trap, and you have a fire, a leaf falls on a trap, and you have a trap
fire, etc.  You get the picture...  Pretty much everything ends in "trap
fire".

Next time try and get an antenna with no traps if possible.  I realize
you have the R8 now, and will keep it, but in the future, never forget
the lesson the MFJ antenna just taught you!  I learned my de-rating
lesson in a similar way several decades ago, running RTTY, I have NEVER
forgotten it.  If you have an antenna in a hard to get to location,
overbuild everything.

I had been considering an R8 up to now-- but the little experiment you
just performed, just convinced me to avoid that antenna.

--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net