Mark,
There are two ways to look at QRP, portable/SOTA operation and fixed/base
station operation. The one thing they both have in common is that they need to
radiate a signal to talk to others.

This may seem obvious, but there is a conflict between the two. The portable
guys need to face a practical issue of weight and ease of installation. The
fixed guys have few restrictions on a practical level. Let's face it the Alex
Loop may be a fine antenna, but it well never compete with a full sized antenna
installed to maximize its performance. To show this, a friend of mine, NA1DX
owns a KX3 that he operates QRP from his base. His antenna farm is not modest.
He works all over at 5 Watts. Most of the time he just responds to CQs with out
employing any other procedure than what is normally used in good operating
practice.

The QRPer who plans to operate out of a tent should put a lot of thought into
his antenna. It is here that he can make the most difference. Additionally,
using CW or PSK31 makes those 5 Watts most effective. Lastly, it really pays to
listen and not chase stations that are just above the noise that may be running
100 Watts or more; go for the stronger signals.

73,
Barry
K3NDM