I am using Rocky with my KX3 I/Q output and it works VERY well. I should also point out that the latest version 3.32 will decode CW and PSK31 signals !!! I had to use a laptop with a stereo input USB sound card ($15 from Amazon) and it gives me 96Khz of bandwidth. The reason for the laptop is that the regular PC induced a ground loop and caused artifacts on the KX3 main output to the other laptop that runs Propnet.

Ron W7HD

briana wrote:
Guys,

Before trashing this,  one actually needs to use it as I have for years.

I've used it with the ROCKY (free) panadapter program and SKIMMER ($75) cw decode program. You do need an SDR and available sound card to use them.

ROCKY is a bare bones spectrum display. It can be sized and easily fit on your computer display along witht logging programs which don't hog the entire display. This is where a panadapter diisplay ought to be IMHO. The frequency scale is relative in KHz. It is not the rigs frequency. There are no bells and whistles like point and click. Despite these short commings it is perfectly adequate for busting pileups. You simply tune the subrx to the blip that you think the DX is working and ID it by ear. There is no concern about offsets et al. It is simplicity and works great. Only occasionally have I wished for a bit more. A bit more turns out to be SKIMMER.

The next step up is SKIMMER. It has rig control and displays a true frequency scale. While you could probably use the display on phone, its main purpose is to decode all the CW signals within its 24KHz decode window. There is point and click and spotting of decoded signals. It provides a band map and also a tabulation of calls decoded that can be displayed sorted alphabetically. There also exists a program that moves the 24 KHz window around with user set dwell times. SKIMMER is excellent for contests and busting very difficult CW pileups -- if you can hear most of the calling stations. For CW contests it is in invisible second op spot generator that nicely feeds N1MM and other contest programs. These spots are high value spots in that you're actually hearing them.

While none of this approaches the P3's sophistication. I have found it to be perfectly adequate. I'm not influenced by how sexy the display is or a bunch of bells and whistles. KISS is what I'm happy with.

Try it, you may like it.

I'm just a satisfied user I have in pecuniary interests in either program.

73 de Brian/K3KO