Bill,

I for one would not want to have your proposed 'solution'.

When you do REV, the VFOs exchange from VFO A to VFO B. When in REV, one would normally do tuning with the VFO A knob (because what was VFO B is now VFO A). Messing with the VFO B knob while in REV will change the frequency of what was previously your VFO A frequency.

With a K3 not equipped with the KRX3 option, I would suggest the following operation: You want to end up with VFO B listening on the desired station, so switch to VFO B using the A/B button and tune in the DX station of interest.

OK, he is operating split up 2 to 5 kHz up (assumption).

Now tap A/B to switch back to VFO A (you will transmit on the VFO A frequency). Find the spot in the pileup that you would like to transmit on and that is all there is to it.

In other words, you would listen to your transmit frequency (VFO A) unless you hold the REV button when you would be listening to the DX station (K1N).

73,
Don W3FPR