I can't tell you why, but I do know that I have had an issue with SPLIT more
so with the K3 then my former rigs. Deservedly so I have had the frequency
police alert me when I forgot to go split when I thought I was SPLIT. For
some reason I don't equate the yellow LED on the left side of the panel with
SPLIT. Maybe it is a mindset or an ergonomic thing?

I realize we only have one choice of color with the display, which
eliminates any possibility of using color to alert us there.
I like some of the ideas such as large visual indicators "SPLIT" where the
RCVR B frequency is displayed. Maybe that is worth a try with a beta version
to see if it helps the issue?

Maybe some kind of LED indicator by the SPLIT button? Wasn't there some
homebrew mods like this on the K2 years ago for other functions?
Maybe yellow is the wrong color where SPLIT presently is indicated? Too
close in color to the display screen? Make it green?
Maybe the symbol "delta f" next the yellow LED should really say SPLIT?

Some rigs do not display the VFO B frequency when not in SPLIT.
Some show VFO B frequency subdued when not in SPLIT.
I like to know where the second receiver is tuned to even if not in SPLIT.

Just some thoughts.
N2TK, Tony