> On Feb 18, 2015, at 11:03 AM, Wayne Burdick <n...@elecraft.com> wrote:
>
> Joe,
>
> Just because there are three indicators for SPLIT already doesn't mean that
> the problem has been solved. Even crack operators have admitted during the
> past few days that they occasionally forget their split state, with
> embarrassing consequences. This is proof that the indications can and should
> be improved, if possible. See my previous posting.

OK, I’ll tell you what often messes me up.

One of the aggravating things about the K3 is that you cannot move freely
between modes if split is engaged. You can change from CW to SSB or vice versa,
but if you are in Data mode, or if you are trying to switch to Data mode, it
won’t go until you turn off split.

I generally tune in a station with VFO A, then hit A>B (twice) and move B to
the correct DX receive frequency. If split is on, everything is good. If, for
some reason, I had split on, but then turned it off so I could change modes, I
sometimes forget to turn it back on.

I hate this. I wish I could just select whatever mode in VFO A I want,
regardless of split — the firmware should prevent me from transmitting in
unsupported configurations, of course, with an appropriate message in the VFO B
display.

If this could be fixed, it would help prevent me from making this mistake.

(Yeah, I know, can I not see the bright yellow delta-F light? You’d think so….)

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa...@arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901