Useful analysis, Rich. I agree this might cause some confusion.

Here's a simpler variation. Suppose we give operators the option of briefly
flashing the entire transmit VFO frequency off/on once each time you start
keying? This would duplicate the intent of the "TX" arrow, which points to
either "A" or "B" but is small enough to get lost unless you're looking right
at it. No new semantics -- just a more visible TX VFO indication.

This wouldn't tell you whether you're in split mode. But flashing the A vs. B
displays would look quite different to the eye, so you'd quickly get used to
looking for the right one as confirmation of your intent.

Wayne
N6KR