I think there was a bad batch of decoders or decoders that didn't perform as claimed. I am not sure mine have ever worked right. Unless you have two radios to compare to one would never know and there was never anything sent out that said hey if your encoders are acting wonky you might have got some bad ones.

Similar pin issue with the power boards. I am unclear why Elecraft using inferior parts all of sudden became my problem.

These are defects and while my K3's are no longer under warranty, the amount of defects and how they are handled will factor in to decision making on future radio purchases. The decoder issue might have been a warranty issue if I knew to look for it.

Mike W0MU