On Tue,3/17/2015 3:48 PM, Fred Jensen wrote:
What's still not clear is "why would I choose one over the other?" Operator/User manuals tend not to answer that question, they are understandably focused on exactly how to operate the equipment.

Hi Fred,

AFSK A and FSK are for RTTY. They are set up to put the other guy's signal in the passband of the RX IF, so we can use filters on it. It's for "single-frequency", like we would do with MMTTY. You want to work a different station, you tune the big knob.

DATA A is for digital software that has a multi-decoder function -- it decodes all the signals it can find in the 2.7 kHz bandwidth of an SSB rig. If we listen to the speaker (or headphones), we hear a bunch of signals, not only one. The usual computer display is spectrum and waterfall, similar to the P3. We choose which one we want to work by clicking on the decode string.

I use AFSK for RTTY and DATA A for everything else. For non-contest RTTY operation, I use WinWarbler, which is a sort of package for MMTTY, and allows a 2Tone window.

73, Jim K9YC