Which data sub-mode is used is really a user's choice and is dependent on what data mode software is intended to be used. Some waterfall display oriented data mode software will do fine sending and decoding RTTY as well as other data modes. MMTTY (which is the main choice for RTTY operation) does not do a waterfall and you tune to the signal desired with the VFO. A similar situation is true for PSK D and FSK D - you tune to the desired station with the VFO rather than clicking on a waterfall display.

For those who are not clear about the data sub-mode designations try this:
DATA A = Data mode (Audio) = waterfall display oriented (point and click)
AFSK A = AFSK mode (Audio) = Tune in a single station with the VFO
PSK D = PSK mode (Digital) = send CW with paddles (or ASCII in KY command), receive on K2 display or K3 Utility terminal FSK D = FSK mode (Digital) = send CW with paddles (or ASCII in KY command or 'wiggling the FSK IN pin on the ACC jack), receive on K2 display or K3 Utility terminal

Hopefully that helps with understanding of what the "A" and "D" suffixes mean.

In summary, if you are using an application that has a waterfall display, use DATA A and point and click on the waterfall to select the station. How you use the data sub-modes depends on which software application you are using as well as the physical connections to the K3.

73,
Don W3FPR