Hank;

Many thanks for your two lengthy and detailed replies although I am a bit
dismayed at your unlucky results with the NCC-1.  Not really expecting to hear
something like that so now I am scratching my head wondering whether or not to
jump in anyway or hold off another year if/when the improved model hits the
shelves.

Some of what you wrote is a bit over my head but I got the general gist of it;
obviously there is still room for improvement (perhaps in the quality control
department if there is such a broad range between various units?).  Perhaps you
got the one and only Edsel of the lot, though considering that most every other
review I've read has been overwhelmingly positive.   I thought the YouTube
demonstrations were compelling; especially the one with two strong BCB stations
on the same frequency---with either one being able to be nulled out almost
completely. Night and day!

I'm not sure whether my simple condo antenna setup will be a better candidate
or not compared to yours and others who have DXE noise antennas set up far away
from their shacks and TX antenna(s).  Right now I'm using a variable-length
inverted U dipole (10-12-15-17-20M) with the top horizontal portion/feedpoint
only about 20 feet above ground.  It is suspended by some fiberglass poles
mounted at the top of a wooden beam over our front porch balcony and I am able
to work plenty of DX with the help of Ion, the Propagation God and the 650
watts that my KPA500 provides.  While far from ideal at least I am able to
enjoy the hobby much more and utilize my entire K-line again since departing
KH6 (DX paradise) three years ago.

As I mentioned before, my noise antenna so far is only the three or four foot
whip atop my ANC-4 and most of the time it works from almost fair to very
good---depending on various factors and the type of noise involved (usually
next door or downstairs TV).  My noise antenna is only about 20 feet away from
my balcony dipole (whose ends are hanging down so it has both vertical and
horizontal components---probably helping my signals get beyond the surrounding
obstacles so close to me here.

I am also just about to finish building my first STL (magnetic loop antenna)
for 10-20M which are the bands I operate 98% of the time, too.  I have been
taking my time constructing it carefully so that it should perform at optimum
levels for what it is (I rolled a 9.5' copper pipe 1.125" OD into a circle and
it has only two silver brazed connections for the vacuum variable capacitor
clamps).

This loop will probably end up replacing the inverted U and also be less
susceptible to the RFI that I am now experiencing---but I want to go the extra
mile with my station anyway.  I plan to roll additional loops (recently
purchased a Hulk tubing roller that works very well) so my noise antenna will
follow in my TX antenna's "footsteps" soon.  I can put that 2nd (noise) loop
out on our cramped back balcony and hope for the best.  I don't really know
much about how the coupling (or lack of) factors into all of this but it will
be interesting to see how two STLs will perform with an NCC-1 and also the
diversity feature in my K3. ( I also will upgrade both main and sub
synthesizers, too later this year after every little bug is worked out and the
backlog of orders gets caught up).

One last thing I'll mention before I QRT and make a run to Home Depot (building
a wooden stand for my loop); most of my noise is up on the higher
bands---unlike your 160M operation that you used the NCC-1 for---so maybe I
will enjoy better results for this particular usage?

Anyway, I think I will go ahead and take the plunge today and try it out
despite your helpful warning---curiosity might be getting the better of me...
I already have some gold-plated BNCs and RCA phono cables that I can rig up so
I will try it hooked into the KXV3A ports (I'll just remove the PR6 as
nothing's happening on 6M now anyway) as well as make a cable for the PTT line.

I hope to get this up and running by the upcoming WPX this weekend---either
way, I will follow up with my impressions here thereafter in case other K3
owners are considering adding one of these to their ham shack.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain your experience, Hank and if mine
doesn't cut the mustard I can't say you didn't try to warn me, hi hi!

73 to you and the Elecraft forum for listening to my rambling,

Jeff, NH7RO