On Wed,7/1/2015 3:31 PM, Wes (N7WS) wrote:
I'm hoping there is some expert here that can point me in the right direction.

It sure sounds like impulse noise, but other RFI professionals on the list may correct me.

In general, impulse noise is best chased with an AM detector and the highest possible RX frequency. I have three tools that I can use this way.

Most useful are a Kenwood TH-F6A talkie and a Kenwood VHF/UHF FM, both of which can be programmed for AM and have good sensitivity up to about 500 MHz. Both are programmed with presets of 160 MHz, 300 MHz, 400 MHz, and 526 MHz (the latter because that's the highest frequency before sensitivity falls off). To get close, I drive around listening to 160 MHz, then as the noise gets louder go to the higher frequencies. When I'm close enough to hear it on that 526 MHz memory, I get out of the car and switch to the talkie.

With the talkie, a trick I learned from our Chicago fox-hunting guys. A talkie with a duck can be made directional by holding close against your chest, and sensitivity can be reduced by removing the duck. I once won a 2M fox hunt using only that talkie.

The third tool is a Tecsun RX that tunes the AM aircraft band that's above the FM broadcast band. Obviously, the other tools are better, but I'm a "use the tools you have" sort of guy. :)

73, Jim K9YC