It used to be a FD tradition of sorts, a way to introduce new folks into ham radio. Before computers were invented, you kept a chronological log, and a manual dupe sheet with 10 columns numbered 0 thru 9 into which you wrote the suffix of each call worked in the appropriate column. In those days, there were vastly fewer prefixes than we have today, and the suffix was sufficient to determine that the guy you were listening to was not a dupe.

in the later 70's, my non-ham neighbor wanted to see what FD was all about so he became my logger on CW. I showed him the numbers and the class letters [there were only about half of what we have now]. He started with no Morse knowledge, by the end, he was copying the exchange pretty much all the time, and getting the calls right every now and then. He never got a license however, the concept of having a new logger doesn't always yield a new ham.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 50th Running of the Cal QSO Party 3-4 Oct 2015
- www.cqp.org