From: "Dauer, Edward" <eda...@law.du.edu>
Date: 07/04/2015  4:01 PM  (GMT-08:00)
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Audio Mixers

Audio mixers that do exactly this are ubiquitous in aircraft.  Many are
now integrated into the Nav-Comms, others were integrated into audio
panels along with the Marker Beacon receivers; but in the stripped-down GA
trainers of 20 plus years ago we used to use portable units, measuring
about 4 inches by 2 inches by 2 inches,  powered by a 9 volt battery, and
held onto the panel with adhesive-backed Velcro (the GA pilot's best
friend.)  They came in two-place, four place and six place.  I’ll bet they
are abundant on E-bay-type used equipment sites, since new avionics has
the functions all built-in.

Simple switches allowed communication just between pilots (so ATC couldn’t
hear the CFI scaring the student), or between one pilot and ATC (so the
student couldn’t hear the CFI asking ATC to scare the student), or both.
The four-place and six-place allowed passengers to listen and talk with
the pilots but not communicate with ATC (so the pilots could scare just
them.)  I don’t know if they would be compatible with modern amateur
transceivers — but they used to be as common as dirt and cost about as
much.  Anyone looked into it?

Ted, KN1CBR (and ex-CFI)

Message delivered to rv6am...@yahoo.com