A little OT, but Joe is sooo correct. Starting college, I worked at an FM station as a member of the TX engineering crew and a board op. I had the sign-on shift 3 days a week and was the only one there ... and I should probably include I was 16 and the engineering crew had minimal adult supervision.

The mic at the board was the iconic prismatic RCA velocity mic, quite big and I found that, if I crawled up to it real close while reading the sign-on script, I sounded like a 45 yr old bass, highly experienced announcer instead of a 16 yr old teenager. I think this is true for most mic types, that velocity mic just may have been the extreme case.

While bass is nice on a 50 Hz to 15 KHz hi-fi broadcast channel playing classical music [think 1812 Overture], you don't want that on a comm channel. K3 TX EQ is extremely effective in tailoring the audio from most any mic. I wonder how it would do using a Bell T-1 carbon element from an old black telephone?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 50th Running of the Cal QSO Party 3-4 Oct 2015
- www.cqp.org

 > Microphones have to suit your voice.

No, microphones need to be reasonably flat without excess low
frequency response, particularly when worked close.