I use my KX3/KXPA100 combination mobile in two different cars and suggest the
following:
1. Direct DC to the battery with both sides fused at 30 Amps.
2. Have found my old Hustler to be very inefficient. Have tried several other
antennas but use a budipole dipole from a fixed most of the time when I want to
maximize my signal.
3. For the microphone I have found Elecraft's H3 hand microphone to get good
audio reports when adjusted per Elecrafts instructions.
4. One last thing use Cat 5 or 6 shielded cable for the control cable between
the KX3 and the amp grounded only at the amp to avoid problems.

John K7JLT