"Full-sized" whip on a VW Beetle? I thought there for a moment maybe you were
the guy with the VW on the cover of CQ for September 1961:

http://hamcall.net/cqcgi/?res=l&yr=1961&mo=09&pg=001

That _had_ to be pretty efficient for a mobile antenna. As I recall from
reading about it originally when I was a kid something was mentioned about
overpasses being a hazard. That probably would be true as I think it was
described as a quarter wave... for 40M....

73, Al