On 07/12/2015 10:32 AM, Dauer, Edward wrote:

I am about to do a mobile installation of a KX3 and KPA-100 (with KAT-100)
in an old SUV (a 2001 Infiniti QX4, the functional equivalent of an old
Datsun pickup truck), with the hope of putting rare western counties on
the air, SSB.

When I moved to California in 1979 I operated the CW county hunters' nets from my VW beetle driving out from Ohio. It was a blast. I used a full-sized CB whip on the rear bumper with a tuner. The Drake TR7 and tuner were in a cardboard box in the passenger's wheel well and the key paddle was mounted on a board attached to the box. Worked great.

I have the Heil Pro headset that Elecraft sold with the
rig.  But I don¹t want a headset while I¹m driving, right?

At least in California it's illegal to have both ears covered while driving, but it's OK to have only one ear covered.

Alan N1AL