Having the LP-100A on the antenna side is by design. I'm not much interested in monitoring the antenna VSWR in real time, but I do want to know the power being delivered at the tail end of the station RF lineup. The "light show" on the KAT500 and the KPA500 (if it's being used) as well as the internal indication in the K3 gives plenty of redundant information about whether or not the antenna tuner is doing its job. The unique vector measurement capability of the LPA-100A also makes it good for maintenance checks. I periodically run the utility program to have the LPA-100A measure the various antennas across their operational bands and compare the results against historical data. This lets me see any changes that might have occurred -- these changes would be masked by an antenna tuner between the LPA-100A sensor and the actual antenna.

I actually use the KAT500 almost exclusively for tuning my 80 meter inverted L, which is too long electrically but mechanically impossible to tune properly. Although all my other antennas are resonant on their respective operating bands I also leave the KAT500 on line to use as a "line flattener" on 160 and 40 meters if I should operate outside of the normal CW bands these antennas are tuned for.

73...
Randy, W8FN