RJ45 is commonly used for RS232C. Millions of Cisco routers and switches built
over the past 20+ years use this arrangement, as do many other devices. I have
a half dozen of these cables - they once were shipped with the router. Although
I don't know for sure, I'll bet the pinout is the same as Cisco.

I can make up 10 RJ45 connectors in the time it takes to make a soldered DB9.

Historically, RS232 was used in electromagnetic applications where there was a
need to drive a relay with line levels. Since modern equipment doesn't need
this - since TTL became commonplace in the 1970's - and since many lower power
devices no longer have 12V power supplies, it has been practice to observe a
ONE state at a voltage of 3V+.

If you really want some detail, check out the data sheet on your favorite RS232
driver chip. Here's an example:
http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/11801afb.pdf

73,

Mickey N4MB