Whilst much of this may be true, it certainly isn't the case in the
electronics industries (including Ham Radio) no matter how much we would
wish it.

A classic case is the 2.3mm power input plug (which is really a line socket)
which is used on radios, power tool chargers, cell phones, laptop PCs and
just about every wall wart in existence! When we pull the new appliance out
of its box along with its charger, it's a fair assumption that the charger
will be the correct voltage and it will work and cause no damage. If the
charger dies and we have to source a new one, we expect the manufacturer to
provide the correct device, PROVIDED that we quote the correct model number.
If we go to an alternative supplier, WE are expected to check the voltage
and current requirement and order accordingly. If we don't do that we are
inherently STUPID! Remember in all this, the plug on the end of the wire is
the SAME, it's use is not. We may also find that the polarity has been
reversed on one particular model and what we thought was positive center, is
no longer the case. This IS the case for some commercially built Ham Radio
rigs and for some musical keyboards, to name but two. It is up to US the
USER to check before plugging it in and if we don't we are again STUPID! All
this for one style of connector with only two connections - wow!!!

I've seen 5 pin DIN plugs used on Ham Radio rigs, I also use EXACTLY the
same plug for MIDI on musical instruments. They are wired differently, the
voltages, currents and signals are different and if I presumed that I could
simply interchange the plugs, I would consider myself very STUPID!

I would prefer Elecraft to have NOT used the same connector for RS232 and
for AUX, for one reason only. In a moment of stupidity (yes I have them) I
could absent-mindedly plug the wrong connector into one or more orifice.
However, Elecraft obviously did not know that I have these moments of
silliness, so have chosen to not attempt to save me from myself. This leaves
me with three choices: 1) Don't buy the radio. 2) Buy the radio and modify
it to a non-(Elecraft)-standard connector. 3) Buy the radio and RTFM -
thoroughly!

C'mon guys, if you've bought a kit (even a solderless kit) and you consider
yourself capable of successfully assembling it, doesn't it tend to prove
that you are two things at least - 1) You can read and follow instructions.
2) You are not the average appliance operator.

As Radio Hams who have been to "Radio Ham School", I really hope that the
above two qualities truly apply.

73,

Alan. G4GNX

-----Original Message----- From: Dauer, Edward