On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 9:32 AM, Dauer, Edward <eda...@law.du.edu> wrote:
>   I¹ll wager the same is true in other
> industries where the consequences of human error can be significant.  I
> don¹t know enough about electrical engineering to offer any specific
> suggestions; but as a starting point, IMHO: if it fits, it should work.
>
> Ted, KN1CBR

Good luck retrofitting that on 15 year old electronics. Also are you
ready to spend 25$ per connector because your application differs in
some way and everyone has to invent a new connector for a new use
which can never benefit from economy of scale. Or perhaps we should
just quit inventing anything new.

Aircraft safety is a completely different animal, where the money
*WILL* be spent for safety issues bearing on loss of life, even if an
item now costs $1000 instead of $10 because it is now a very specific
quality-warrantied small-volume item that can never be
mass-manufactured in 100,000 or 500,000 count runs. I'll pay my
portion of the cost of all of that, to be safe on my airplane trips.
But my K2 ain't an airplane, and I don't sit in it at 35,000 feet
doing 500 knots.

On reason K2's are affordable is because they do NOT use a lot of
specialty one-of-a-kind items. And how many would be complaining if it
needed a hard to find specialty plug on the back. We can't afford
stuff made idiot-proof to the extent that RTFM is never needed for
success

DB9 and DB15 are used for all kinds of non-standard stuff, all over
the place (not just Elecraft)...  Don't EVER put any male DB9 or DB15
or DB25 in any female DB9 or DB15 or DB25 without knowing what is on
all the pins.

And then what is DB25, serial or parallel port, or something weird?
You always have to look at a DB25 which could be anything.

Look at the back of a MicroHam box sometime, which has dozens of
specialty connections to DB25's. Separate one of a kind jack for each
cable connection?

We really do hate to RTFM, don't we...

I heard one XYL remark at a wives-invited ham function that her
husband wouldn't RTFM any more than he would ask for directions, or
even look at the all-language comic book assembly guide for that
Christmas present, some assembly required.

A friend of mine blew up a beautiful Alpha 99 he'd gotten off eBay for
a really good price because he didn't read the manual for setup and
fed 240V to a transformer that was strapped by the previous owner to
120. That was really expensive. I remember him saying that if I
mentioned RTFM even once he'd come after me with a club. His eBay
savings was wiped out and quite a bit more by the repair cost.

But it was just one more of a bazillion examples of the trouble we
cause ourselves in every aspect of life by our seeming intransigent
unwillingness to RTFM before making assumptions and sticking things in
things.

We shouldn't be asking others to make it safe for our failure to RTFM.
YOU blow it up, YOU suck it up. It's the manly thing to do.

73, Guy K2AV