Actually, wage, facility and development costs are pretty comparable at our
location to other states for our business.  Our HQ and manufacturing facility
(we build all our radios here in CA) is located in a lower cost agricultural
area of the state . (Watsonville and the Salinas Valley - Steinbeck country..),
so our cost of living for manufacturing employees here for is substantially
lower than other more populated areas of the state.  And we are not capital
intensive, which insulates us from some of the tax costs in CA associated with
larger industries. Outside of the major population hubs, the cost of operating
a business here drops significantly. CA also has an aggressive R&D /
manufacturing tax credit, which for our size of company, reduces our taxes
-significantly-.  (Bigger industries probably max this credit out and end up
paying higher taxes.)

Our primary cost increases have come from our component suppliers, many of whom
are out of state. The wage and facility cost increases here have tracked those
in our type of industry outside the state.

Our engineering team is located both here at HQ and up and down the west coast
from Washington state to Arizona, which keeps those costs in control too.

We also benefit from an amazing number of engineers, suppliers, consultants and
sub-contractors close by here who are related to the high tech industry, which
allows us to quickly and economically develop and manufacture products.  That
proximity is priceless and unique.  It is one of the reasons we have been
successful for the past 16 years.

73,
Eric
elecraft.com