On 10/30/2015 01:59 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On Fri,10/30/2015 1:13 PM, Alan wrote:
I have a "Signal Hound" USB-SA-44B, which is a 1 Hz to 4.4 GHz
spectrum analyzer that uses a PC for power and the user interface.  It
currently goes for $919.  I've been pretty happy with it.

https://signalhound.com/

They also offer an optional USB-TG44A tracking generator for $599,
which I don't have.

Interesting. What's the dynamic range -- i.e., how much can you display
on-screen?

73, Jim K9YC

You can set the dB/div scale for pretty much anything you want. 40 dB/div gives 400 dB display range, but of course that's not useful.

With a -10 dBm signal from an HP 8656B signal generator at 18.116 MHz, span = 10 kHz and resolution bandwidth = 3.2 Hz, I see that the noise is a bit less than -110 dBm at the edges (away from the phase noise near the carrier).

So >100 dB dynamic range with those settings.

With a narrow enough span you can set the RBW all the way down to 0.1 Hz, but at a really slow update rate. (e.g. 37 seconds with 100 Hz span)

One thing I like about this unit is that it covers all the way down to low audio frequencies (1 Hz), which is rare in a microwave spectrum analyzer.

Alan N1AL