Antenna issues specific to the OP aside, there is a valid reason to have the
KAT500 recognize split and inhibit retuning/recall.

The need for this functionality is very apparent when running split on 40m
SSB when the DX is below 7.1 MHz and listening up much higher than 5KHz for
anyone using a narrow bandwidth 40m antenna.  Consider that the KAT500
already tuned the antenna on your TX, so the "fix the antenna solution"
doesn't apply.  Listening ~50KHz away should not require any retuning since
the tuner's settings at your TX should be good enough for RX.

Here is how it would work:

1. When the KAT500 sees a *transition* from split off to split on...
        a. The KAT500 would recall settings for TX Frequency or retune
(under the VSWR settings condition) when it sees RF for the first time after
this split transition
2. When split is on (Split mode)
        b. The tuner should not change any settings regardless of
frequency/band - except under VSWR conditions based on settings.
        c. Perhaps both the "Auto" and "Man" indicators would be on in order
to indicate this mode on the KAT front panel.
3. When the KAT500 sees a transition from split on to split off then go into
"normal" (non Split) mode.

The main reason I am using the tuner is because of a compromise antenna.  If
the antenna was flat enough across the band I wouldn't even engage it.  In
my specific situation there is also at KPA500 connected, so the way that the
KAT500 works today will result in the KAT inhibiting the KPA while it
retunes/recalls.  Although fast, I suspect that the amp is not engaged
initially when I send (speak) my call sign in the pile.  On very rare
occasions there is also a KPA VSWR Fault.  While probably not an issue, the
amount of relay chatter in very short period of time between fast RX/TX/RX
transitions is a bit unsettling.

73,

Cliff K3LL