I generally recommend people start in the digital world with PSK31. There is quite a bit of activity between 14.070 and 14.073 on the 20 meter band. You can use the radio's VOX for keying, so you can avoid having to worry about a keying interface for the start. The PSK signal is symmetric, so you should be able to work and copy other stations without worrying about USB vs. LSB issues.

When you get PSK running, you know your computer can communicate with your radio both ways. Then when you try other modes, and they don't work, you start debugging with a large number of things that do work.

73 Bill AE6JV