I concur with Bill in that PSK is an easy mode to get running. It is fun, regardless if you chase DX or just like to rag chew. Although I use the K3S, there is only one cable required between the computer and the radio. It handles the audio and the PTT and CAT commands. No interface required. I do use a SignaLink USB with one of my other radios. For software, FLDIGI is free, and has the required configuration files for the KX3 and K3/K3S radios. Plus the MACRO's are easy to configure for your personal liking and it creates a log which can be uploaded to your favorite logging program.

I finally figured out that the more software applications I have running to do different things, the more issues I have to resolve. Some software systems will easily hand shake and work with others, while others turn into more of a fist fight. I typically only run one application and let it do all my radio chores.

73
Bob, K4TAX
K3S s/n 10163