I downloaded the manual and read it several times before I received my K3S. I find most hams believe they can operate any old radio and don't need to read the stinkin' manual. HA!

As to operation, your QTH & noise, your antennas, your selection of optional filters and options, choice of mike and key or paddle will make a difference in the way the radio is configured or set to run specifically for you. The way it comes from the factory is about 90% of what you'll need. You should have it on the air and getting good reports in 1 hour or less.

Every one will have or suggest individual tweaks or preferences. Just keep it simple, change what you need to change and resist tweaking everything just because someone said such and such needs to be changed. If one makes a change, I believe they should have a very good reason for making a change and know what to expect after they make the change. Otherwise, put it back to the value(s) it was.

The K3S is far from the "cookie cutter" radios of Kenwood, ICOM, Yaesu, Tentec and others. It doesn't operate like those. I know, I transitioned from one of those competitive models. There is a learning curve. Once mastered, it is a great performing radio.

And before you change anything, download he K3 Utility and make a file for the "Factory Configuration". You may find you need to return to that configuration.

73
Bob, K4TAX