The majority of the time, the DX station is not far off the noise floor. If they are, then the RF gain becomes useful, otherwise I leave it alone.

I recently tried turning the AGC off in DATA A mode. If you're trying to capture the entire audio bandwidth, it helps, a lot. A strong signal no longer swamps the weaker signals. This is for 'sweep' mode only, but I don't bother to switch it in for working DX. It follows my concept of never allowing AGC to kick in for the best data decoding (least is best). For low level signals, it seems to work better and is certainly worth a try.

Then I narrow the filtering down to only the desired station per usual, clone the other VFO, offset split according to the DX instructions and make the contact. Pretty durned simple and easy. The only thing it's hard on is the ears, the sudden LOUDness of the band can be jolting when you switch to DATA A.

Rick nhc